As we know, the game just wouldn't run without volunteers - changing rooms don't clean themselves, post match meals don't just appear, pitches don't mark themselves out, as well as the many great coaches, club administrators and countless other helpers who put the hours in because they want to make a difference for the clubs they love.
As a County, we've been looking at pulling together an awards event that builds on the local events organised by your district volunteer coordinators. We will announce more details of the event soon (make a note of 27 May in your diary!), but to get the ball rolling, we need you to nominate those who make a difference. There are 10 categories available and each district winner of each category will be invited to the finalists event and the chance to be the first recipient of that award.
The categories are:
- Mini Rugby Volunteer of the year - who has been pivotal to getting minis involved in the game and giving the foundations of a lifelong love of rugby?
- Junior Rugby Volunteer of the year - who inspires our junior players to help grow the game? Is it someone who has recruited players, started a new section or just taken your existing section to a new level?
- Young Rugby Ambassador of the year (this is open to those aged 14-24) and have shown maturity beyond their years in helping grow the game at your club
- Student Volunteer of the year - we all know that retaining players at university is a huge task. Who has really made university a home from home and helped keep rugby going.
- Referee of the year - lets be honest, without referees, there would be no games to play! Have you a referee who has gone the extra mile and helped you by either interpreting laws, helping clubs grow or just being brilliant at your club?
- Women's and girls Volunteer of the Year - from small acorns do huge oaks grow! The rise of W&G rugby in the county is fantastic. We have new teams emerging everywhere, we have a really strong county team - who has helped grow the game or taken the plunge and start a section at your club?
- Men's Volunteer of the year - Across the mens game at all levels and leagues, who has made a difference? Who inspires people to turn up come rain or shine?
- Spirit of Rugby Award (For schools participating in the All Schools Award & Schools whom are promoting rugby within the school timetable)
- Club Volunteer of the year - who is the rock your club? Who is dependable or given a lifetime to the game?
- Yorkshire RFU President's Award (Unsung hero) - this really is as it says, who is always there, dependable and is part of the game.
You will be asked to add in a few words why (this helps us choose winners) and we want your name and club details so we can ask more detail if necessary. Also, it allows us to say thank you for putting the time in to nominate.
Why wait - nominate today. The nomination form is waiting for you HERE
We also need sponsors to help promote the event. For a small donation, you have the chance to have the award named after you, receive an invitation to the event as you'll be presenting the award on the night. For more information email Sally Burns by clicking HERE
Paul Fountain - Chair, Community Rugby
Sally Burns - CB Volunteer Coordinator
Toni Birch - Chair - West/Aire Wharfe Age Grade Committee